Friday, March 24, 2006

The Tale of the $1100 iPod

Yesterday Josh called me last night to ask me if he could by an iPod. The story behind that is some guy returned it full of rap music without a receipt. Therefore Wally World is unable to return it to their distributors. They just sell the item at a generous discount to their associates. The proceeds then go to the Children's Miracle network. So we ended up paying $100 for this iPod. I told him that it was up to him if we bought it or not. A guy with a decision about electronics will inevitably buy whatever it is.

We get it home and I checked it out. Since the thing was full of Rap music I wanted to get it hooked up to the computer so that I could get it off. I insert the disc and wait for it load. A pop-up came that said we need windows 2000 or XP. We have Windows ME. Now we have been looking at computers for a little while now. A couple times when I was off and even last month the computer has crashed and had the computer restart in DOS mode and unable to start up. So last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. We bought a new Dell.

The thing is this time we are going to take VERY good care of this computer. We are going to keep our spyware up to date and our virus protection current. We cannot afford not too. Especially if we will be getting a bunch of new music off the internet. We will also back it up so if it crashes on it we won't have to go back to square one.

No comments: