Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Be Nice to Me...........I Gave Blood Today!!!

Today was the blood drive at Research Park in Madison. I haven't given blood since 10/99. I could not believe that. I used to give blood like it was an addiction. Well atleast twice a year. I always felt that it was my civil duty to do so. I have been hemming and hawing about giving since the flyer came out at the end of June. Well this morning rolled around and I thought that I should go. Now getting people to go is another story. I asked several co-workers if they planned on going. I found two people that would go with me M & J. M had given three times until he was hassled to give because he has a rare blood type. J had never given blood before. He seemed like he wanted to do it but need some encouragement or just someone to go with.

So the three of us hiked up the hill and across the road. I am a speed reader so I read all of my information and was ready to go. M was careful to read the information. J was reading VERY intently not wanting to miss anything. I gave first and was done before M had started. J kept looking at his watch nervously. We were doing pretty good until the needle in J's arm started to move. That is bad enough to have them harpoon you, but then have the arm move too. Yugh. I would have passed out but he held on like a trooper.

So my mission today is to encourage everyone to donate blood. Here are the reasons why:
1. 1 pint of blood can save up to 3 people.
2. Every two seconds, someone in the US needs a blood transfusion. Yet, only 3% of Americans donate.
3. Bring someone with you because most people don't donate because they have never been asked.
4. People really need to donate in the summer because there are higher incidences of accidents and few student donors.
Please go out and GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE!!!!!

No comments: