Wednesday, September 01, 2004

This Poor Woman

The Story of Terri Schiavo

You may or may not know that I worked in various nursing homes during college. I have seen many things with my young eyes. I have stumbled upon my favorite resident dead in his wheel chair. I have held the hands of family members watching their loved one slip away. Shared in the tears of sorrow and happiness for they are suffering no more. I have seen a young man, not much older than I, lie there in a coma never to wake up due to a prescription drug overdose. I bathed him and talked to him and watched him survive because of a feeding tube. That is not a life that is an existence.

What I do not understand about the family of Terri Schiavo of Florida is this: Why? Why prolong her life? Why not send Terri to a better place? Why put her loving husband through this? Her husband has been there through all of this and loves her just as much as you. Why spend more money on the healthcare? Why would you want to put yourself through this?

I just don't understand. This story makes me want to cry. I love my family with all my heart! I love Josh more than life itself! But I would not want them to have to watch me go through what this poor woman has gone through. It is just causing strain for her family. The family cannot close this chapter of their lives. What good is visiting her empty shell of a body? That is all that it is. She looks around but cannot process what she sees. It is selfish of her family to prolong her life! They are only doing this for themselves, because she cannot be getting anything else out of this. I understand that she isn't being kept alive by machines for breathing, just the feeding tube. She could live for 50 more years on that feeding tube. If she didn't want to live this was respect her wishes. That is the best thing that you could do for her.

What I want my family to know is this: If I ever become "a vegetable" or have to remain on life support to continue on let me go... I have lived my life, there isn't anything that I would change. Remember the good times that we have shared. Remember that I will always be with you in heart and soul. I am not a religious person, but I know that I will go to a better place. I want to be united with the people who have passed on before me. We will be happy and wait for you to join us when your time is through. Honor my memory, respect my wishes.....

**Sidenote: I am sorry that this is such a somber post but this issue really touches a nerve with me. I was outraged when I first heard about this story and just thought that I would share my point of view and see what you think.

No comments: